When/Where: July 24, 2012 at 6:00 PM at 16 Beaver St. in Manhattan.
Readings for first gathering:
- Voltairine de Cleyre, “Direct Action,” in The Voltairine de Cleyre Reader, edited by A. J. Brigati (pp. 38-50) (1912/2004)
- David Graeber, “Direct Action, Anarchism, Direct Democracy,” in Direct Action: An Ethnography (pp. 201-238) (2009)
- AK Thompson, “Direct Action, Pedagogy of the Oppressed,” in Black Bloc, White Riot: Anti-Globalization and the Genealogy of Dissent (pp. 59-79) (2010)
Additional readings (if you have the time):
- Jason Brannigan, “Direct Action Gets the Goods,” in Working Class Resistance 10 (2005)
- Sans-Titres Bulletin 1, “What is Direct Action?” A-Infos News (1999)
- Rob Sparrow, “Anarchist Politics & Direct Action” (2001)
- David Wieck, “The Habit of Direct Action,” in Reinventing Anarchy, Again, edited by Howard Ehrlich (pp. 375-376) (1996)
We will also be viewing Shutdown: The Rise and Fall of Direct Action Against the War (2008), a documentary reflecting on the shutdown and occupation of the Financial District in San Francisco on March 20, 2003.